Monday, November 8, 2010

Week One

Week One: Fail!

Okay, I learned a lot from this first painting.
1) I've got to be willing to do still life subjects or landscapes when learning to watercolor - figures and faces are too advanced for me right now.
2) Use a step-by-step tutorial. No -- I can't just figure it out, despite my thinking otherwise.
3) My biggest problem will using a light touch. I can't treat these like oil paints. I started with good intentions, but in the end I made the same old mistakes.
4) I need more colors. I could do a majority of the mixing, but while I'm learning I should get the list of colors suggested by the book.

I started out painting a white woman, then it turned into a black woman, then it turned into a hispanic man. You are not suppose to do that with watercolors. The end result is a strange layering of washes and bizarre colors. I suppose it is good to be humbled.

Next picture: I'm going to follow a step-by-step tutorial in the book for an arrangement of flowers. It may not be my first choice of subjects, but I need to start simple and get a lot of help. I'll go and get the colors the author recommends, and hopefully it will go better this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment